Max TR6 compression ratio, low octane fuel

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Max TR6 compression ratio, low octane fuel
From: "Janssen, Lee K" <lee.k.janssen@lmco.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 06:33:07 -0700
For a late model TR6 (7.75:1 CR) how much can you shave the head and
still run with the stock cam (256 degrees of duration ) on low octane
fuel (87 in most of the US, 85 here in Denver).
I'm not interested in higher octane since the fuel costs increase faster
than the HP (changing from 8:1 to 12:1 CR produces less than a 10%
increase in HP assuming no cam changes, yet fuel costs go up by more
than 20%).
Likewise I'm not interested in a cam with more than the stock 256
degrees of duration because I don't drive to work with the tach much
over 3500 rpm.