Trivia and rear seal

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Trivia and rear seal
From: "Scott Kohl" <sdkgt6@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 22:04:12 PST
Holiday-ish Greetings to all!  Since this is the festive season, let's
try three trivia questions.  The first two should be easy for the
average Triumph anorak (like me), the third is the poser.

1)From where did the Triumph Herald get its name?

2)Every model had a code name given to it, other than its marque name,
before its announcement to the public.  The TR4 was "Zoom", or was it
"Zest"?  The Spitfire was "bomb" (ahem). Anyway, more than once, Chief
Engineer Harry Webster wanted the code name to be the models "official"
name.  He only succeeded with one model.  What model was it?

3)What does the triumph "shield" or "book" really represent? (it is NOT
a book or shield.)

I would expect that the Brits lurking about will know  #1 and #2
straight away.  But #3 is pretty obscure.

I had to fiddle with the scroll seal on a Mk.2 Spit I had once.  The
spiral is in the housing, and the crank has several equidistant square
grooves, so the later lip seal doesn't work.  Could you fit one of those
repair sleeves designed for the front pulley sealing surface to the back
of the crank to be able to use the later seal?  Just a thought.

Cheers!

Scott Kohl