Re: GT6 Unleaded conversion

To: Ian Southwell <IanSouthwell@ApexSystems.COM>
Subject: Re: GT6 Unleaded conversion
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 08:39:28 -0800
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Ian Southwell wrote:

> Hi
> I'm currently having the engine on my GT6 rebuilt and was looking for
> any advice on having the head converted for unleaded fuel.  What effect
> will it have on the timing? Do the valves need replacing as well as the
> inserts?  Is there any noticable performance loss?

Ian,
There was a recent discussion on this subject and If I may be so bold to
condense it, the consensus was it is unnecessary to do the conversion
unless you are doing a valve job and was going to have the head off
anyway.  It makes sense to me that If you are already going to the
expense of a normal valve job, you should shell out a few extra quid and
have hardened valves and seats installed to further protect the head
from Unleaded Fuel.

I doubt you would see any difference in performance between that and the
stock parts.  However, it certainly should prolong the interval until
the next valve job.  You can pick up some extra performance if you have
the machinist remove the rough edges in the chambers which allows the
gases to flow through the head more smoothly.

Regards,
Joe Curry