Re: U-joint horrors...help

To: William West <will_thane@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: U-joint horrors...help
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 17:41:02 -0800
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
William West wrote:
> Could somebody guide me through this process please, I've got the manual,
> but it always help to have instructions from those that have fought the
> beast...this is my only driver and my workmates are going to be a tad bit
> upset if I can't get there on monday!!! :-)

Will,
I'm a glutton for punishment, but I would go ahead and do both sides at
the same time.  THe trick is to take the pressure off the spring before
taking the axles off.  You do so by accessing the spring bolts from the
access panel behind the panel in back of the seats.

With the tension removed, you can then uncouple the brake lines and hand
brake cables.
Next you want to disconnect the shocks at the lower end, and the radius
arms at the vertical link.

You can then put something under the vertical link and remove the bolts
that hold the U-Joint yoke onto the output shafts.  With those
disconnected, you can then remove the bolt that holds the vertical link
onto the Spring.  That will free the whole assembly.

With that loose, you can replace the U-joint on the bench and reverse
the process for installation.

It is probably a good idea to replace the bushings in the Spring end and
the Radius arm while they are off.

> One curious thing, the drum on the right side of the car was extremely hot,
> as if the brake had locked up.  My e-brake felt as if it were extremely
> tight when I tried to pull on it...What's going on here???

What you experienced is likely due to the axle end being off center
causing the shoes to contact the drum.  It's a good idea to inspect
these items for damage.

Good Luck
Joe Curry   '63 Spit