Re: Seal Tips

To: "Brian Harper" <brian@ati.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Seal Tips
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 10:36:15 -0800
Brian sez-

<snip>

        The old seal looks pretty good, but is a little bit less resilient than
> the new one. The seal surface on the pulley has a slight groove and some
> very small pits in the area of the groove. I think that replacing the
seal
> alone will not stop the oil flow out the front. Can I just polish out the
> pits or do I finally get to try the Reddi-Seal or whatever the sleeves
are
> called? Or is this OK and the new seal will take care of it?
>
> Brian Harper
> 1978 Spitoil

This will take a little dectective work on your part, but I have used this
on most of my lbc's on things like the front crank seal, tranny input
seals, diff seals, axle seals...well you get the picture, anywhere there
has been some wear and it is sorta important to keep the oil/grease on the
correct side of the interface. With correct seal in hand, tool  on down to
your local bearing house and get two seals the same od and id, but only
half as thick. Now when you install the two new seals (one in front of the
other), not only will they contact the shaft in a different spot (negating
the wear problem), but you will have twice the "sealing" effect.
Surprisingly you can usually find the needed thickness of seals, but if you
measure the clearance/depth of the housing that the seal resides in, you
will often find that there is lots of clearance for the new seals even if
they measure a bit more in thickness overall than the original single seal.

The Car Curmudgeon
     Nick in Nor Cal