help with a Hearld decision!

To: triumph owners digest <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: help with a Hearld decision!
From: "Smith, Brian" <brian_s@deq.state.la.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 10:46:27 -0600
Hello all,

 I know I'm insane for even considering this but....

I found a mid sixties Triumph Hearld convertable in a junkyard.  The
owner says that the engine ran when it was brought in and the only thing
wrong with it at the time was a bad Brake master cly.  I know for a fact
the this car has been sitting outside in the elements for at least 7
years.  There are no floorboards and very little trunk floor.  The
drivers side rocker is toast.  The wood dash is useful only as a
pattern.  However, the body sheet metal seems in very good shape.  The
top is non-existant but the frame appears to be in good shape except for
the header rail. The intreror will have to be redone (obviously) but
appears to be all there.  Now this guy also has a small mouth TR3 with
some Toyota engine transplant.  I think I could buy both for a very
small sume of money (ie less than 200$).  Now logically I know I should
not walk but RUN away from this hearld.  But It seems like (god, does
this sound nieve) it would take so little work to revive this little
thing and I would be getting some spares for my '3 in the deal.  Now my
question...How much of this thing (floor pan wise, I know mechanically)
is common with the square tail spits (I have an extra).  Are the floor
pans, rockers,Tops, etc, available here in the states or am I looking
for some Major shipping charges for the home country?  Should I start
looking for a 12 step program now?

Thanks for your time.

Brian H. Smith
Lake Charles , LA