Re: TR Spit: High Perf Tires?

To: Brian Harper <brian@ati.com>
Subject: Re: TR Spit: High Perf Tires?
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 19:25:19 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Brian Harper wrote:

>         The '78 Spit is almost back together and the first San Francisco
>Region
> SCCA Autocross is just a month and a half away. Although I've done an autox
> on the current Sears M+S tires, for my first full season I want some decent
> street tires. Has anyone fitted anything like a 185-60 to the 4.5" rims? Do
> they fit in the fenders ok? How about 195? Also, did I read that the TR-7
> wheels are very similar, but wider? Are they 13" or 14", and are they 5 or
> 5.5"? Do they fit a Spit 1500? I'm not going to be able to afford/justify
> new light aftermarket wheels, but some cheap junkyard stockers would
> probably be whithin budget, and a wider rim opens up the tire selection a
> little. A little steel wool and spray paint and they'll look new!
>         Curretly I'm debating between the Yokohama AVS Intermediate 185-60
>and a
> Sumitomo HTR100 175-50 (at half the price of the Yoko). (Of course this
> would change if I got different wheels) The 175 seems a bit narrower than
> I'd like, but the 50 profile sure sounds good for hard cornering around the
> parking lots. The tires have to last a year and the car will probably not
> see 5,000 road miles.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Brian Harper
> Pure Junk Racing
> 1978 Spit

Brian ... it seems you already know plenty about tires.  Whaddya want my help
for?

FWIW, the PO of my GT6 put on 175-70 R 13's, and while they are good tires that
give a
stable footing, they will hit the well rims on occasion.  For such problems,
people have
been know to fold back the inner fender seams to provide extra clearance, but I
don't
want to go that route myself.  As per the TR7 wheels, they are 5.5 X13, and
bolt right
up to the Spit, as long as you countersink the lug holes so you can use your
old nuts.

Yeah -- there's a joke in there somewhere.

I've got Yokohama 509s on TR7 wheels on my Spitfire, but they are steel wheels,
and just
too dang heavy.  Panasports are in my hopeful future ...

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6