Re: Rover 5 speed tranny

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rover 5 speed tranny
From: Bill Woodruff <woodruff@fail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:29:29 -0800
At 11:42 PM 12/15/97 +0100, Jochen Saal wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>A few weeks ago I told you about a tranny conversion for a TR6 and
promised to
>get further information for the list. Sorry for keeping some of you
waiting, but

>information. The gearbox is the 5-speed box from a Rover 3500 or late
TR7/8. To
>use it in the TR6 (TR3/4/5 as well, but TR6 clutch needs to be used) they
use a
>different bell housing. The owner of this company did not tell me which bell
>housing he is using, that’s his big secret! So it’s up to us to guess
which one
>might fit. The clutch slave cylinder is on the right side and therefore the

Well if anybody can figure it out, this group can.  I'll guess the GT6
aluminum bell housing.  The slave cylinder is on the right side, it bolts
to the TR6/GT6 block, and it bolts to the GT6/Spitfire transmission.  There
is one contrary piece of info however:

>might fit. The clutch slave cylinder is on the right side and therefore the
>‘routing’ of the exhaust pipes have to be modified. No modification on the

The GT6 slave points towards the passenger compartment, so it wouldn't
interfere with the exhaust.  Anybody else care to guess or comment?

William Woodruff                                woodruff@fail.com
San Francisco, CA