GT6 Drum Brakes: Situation Normal, All Forked Up

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: GT6 Drum Brakes: Situation Normal, All Forked Up
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 11:33:56 -0800
All right, I admit it.  I'm a brake mechanic-wannabe.  Experience ...slim.  But
for what
seems like $1500 per average job, I'm ready to learn.

The right rear drum brake on my GT6 has been dragging.  When it got noticeably
worse, I
put the car up on stands to investigate.

1)  Brake fluid found on the tire.  (This explains my slow resevoir loss.)

2)  Drum is difficult, but not impossible, to turn by hand.

3)  Drum will budge, but not come off. I've offered at it, but I don't want to
apply
excessive force at the moment.  I opened the bleed valve, but this seems to
make no
difference.  How would a real mechanic proceed from this point?  And does
anyone care to
offer a preliminary diagnosis as to what the problem is here?

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6

PS:  Yes, the emergency brake is off.  Hey .. I'm not THAT stoopid.  And by the
way, I
have the self-adjusting brakes, so I can't proceed by turning the adjuster off,
as the
Bentley recommends ...