Re: Spitfire a-arm

To: WINDOWSEET <WINDOWSEET@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire a-arm
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 10:27:47 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>I also plan to add stiffeners to the open part of the u-shape and the open
>parts of the a-arm. This should help strengthen the arm when more forces will
>be absorbed by the addition of stiffer shocks, nylatron bushings and a
heavier
>sway bar in solid mounts. Not to mention the solid mounts on the steering
>rack. Suspension modifications put much more stress on the stock components,
>which are marginal at best.
********************************
Greg,
Just food for thought - the factory racing team did the modification you
describe as far as 'boxing' of the arms on racing Spitfires.  They found it
unnecessary, and that the standard A-arm as fitted were more than adequate.
 Might save you a lot of unnecessary work -
I've been running the stock, un-modified A-arms, upper and lower, on my 72
from day one, 205 60 13R tires on Panasport rims, with GT6 brakes
(increased loading) never had a failure or cracking, and I drive my car
very hard.  Even used to race it in my earlier days, before the V6
transplant.  I don't know what some of you guys are doing to yours, but I
haven't managed to damage mine - -

Barry Schwartz
bschwart@pacbell.net