Re: Adhesives

To: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: Adhesives
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 17:04:23 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Philip E. Barnes wrote:

> Bob Danielson asks:
> "What adhesives do you folks recommend for...the rubber door
> seals and inside and outside window trim seals?"
>
> I don't think any adhesive is required for the door seals. They have a
> U-shaped spring arrangement that fits over the edge of the sheet metal
> which grips it and holds the seal in place. The window seals ("inner and
> outer waist seals") are held on by separate clips. These can be challenging
> to install, but there is a drawing of a tool in the Haynes manual that
> works fairly well for installing these.

I have a set of door seals ready to install. They came with the car when
I bought it, so I have no assurance that they match the OEM part. These
have aluminum alligator teeth embedded in the rubber, and the teeth are
too close together to push onto the flange. In a test try to fit the
seals, I had to pry the teeth apart, push the seal onto the flange, and
then, somehow, squeeze the teeth back down, which mostly just compressed
the seal.  About that time, I decided 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive (gorilla
snot) was the adhesive of choice, if I wanted the seals to stay in
place.... <g>

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....