Re: Clutch hydraulics

To: Andrew Linkens <alinkens@nuera.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch hydraulics
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 11:23:52 +0500 (EST)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Andrew Linkens wrote:

> My clutch hydraulics have gone again! The seals are wearing rapidly due to a
> scored bore so I'll have to replace the master cylinder.
> Has anyone replaced the entire system with a cable like modern cars use??
> just wondering

Andy, WHY? I've had more bad luck over the years with cables than with
hydraulics. I went through three VERY EXPENSIVE cables on a Volvo some
years back before I finally determined that the factory (Belgian-assembled
car, my apologies to the Belgian workforce, but WHAT WERE YOU GUYS
THINKING WHEN YOU BUILT SWEDISH CARS BACK THEN?) had routed the cable in
such a way that it was doomed to certain, premature failure.

And some relatively modern cars do continue to use hydraulic actuation of
the clutch. (I guess one can consider the Ford Explorer a relatively
modern vehicle in most respects!)

My $.02 worth.

--Andy