Follow-up Windshield install

To: "Mark A. Erickson" <mlazye@northvalley.com>
Subject: Follow-up Windshield install
From: Thomas Howard <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 12:16:23 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

I have gotten the windshield installed.

I did install the rubber to the glass, then pulled the assembly into the
car frame using a rope.   It really went in with out too much fuss.

I did the rear glass on the hatch of my GT6 as well the same day.  (even
easier)

On the down side the rubber that I purchased from Vicky Brit did not lay
smoothly all the way around the new glass.   On the outside, at both bottom
corners and about half way up each side there was a gap of about 1/16th of
an inch between the glass and the rubber.    I push and pulled a good bit
without much improvment and finally filled the gap with Dow Corning
winshield sealer (silicone).

After waiting for the seal to cure I cleaner it up with a razor.  All in
all it made a good looking installation.

My goal in replacing was the eliminate water leaks.   The car would get
water inside from just sitting out in the rain.    I found two rust
perferations in the windshield mounting channel at the bottom after
removing the old windsheild.   That certainly could leak water into the
foot wells.   I repaired the holes and repainted the area before putting in
the new glass.   (I am sorry that the back glass was not available.  I just
renew the seal with new rubber in the back using the old glass.)

I may not wait for rain, but rather set the sprinker on the car for a
couple of hours to see what is.   But then why not just wait for bad new if
bad news is comming?

A good part is the new glass in the front is CLEAR.   My old one was so
scrached up that it was a hazzard to drive at night with the headlight
glare.  The new one is clear as glass!

Thanks to all for the assistance in advise.

Thomas Howard
1972 Triumph GT6,
(& a good bit of USA iron)