RE:Transmission Noise

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE:Transmission Noise
From: cpoulin@i2020.net (Chuck Poulin)
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 09:41:39 -0500
The countershaft (layshaft) in the TR6 transmission is probably one of
the cars biggest weak points.  Drive the car, and see if the noise goes
away in fourth gear.  In fourth, the power transfer goes straight from
the input shaft to the mainshaft, thus not applying any torque to the
countershaft.  Also see how much noise the car makes in reverse.  Prior
to my countershaft dying in my 74, it was very noisy in reverse, but I
didn't know what the symptoms were pointing to.

As a note, I drove my (what I thought) serviceable TR6 down to Road
Atlanta from Richmond, VA to buy a hardtop.  I installed the hard top,
and noticed a grinding noise that I couldn't hear with the soft top.
Yep, trashed tranny.  I did manage to nurse it 500 miles with a bad
countershaft by keeping the stops to a minimum.  It was nasty starting
off near the end.  The amazing thing was, after 500 miles of abuse, all
I had to do was replace the countershaft and bearings.

>Now that the hood is up on the TR6, I notice lots of noises I never hear >when
>motoring topless (excuse the pun)   Seems like I hear the tranny >noises, and
>am wondering if mine are excessive.  These are mainly the >whining noises that
>are most evident in the lower gears, and they change >pitch when changing from
>acceleration to deceleration.   Not so loud, but >evident in 4th.   Tranny
>works fine, clutch good, although occasionally it >is hard to get in in
>reverse or first, depending on where the car is >setting, etc.

I know there is always some noise, but this seems excessive.  How about
the
other sixes out there.  Is this something common to older sixes?   Any
advice?

Mike Barron
70 TR6
60 Tr3