RE:TR6 Tranny Tribulations

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE:TR6 Tranny Tribulations
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 07:20:31 -0800
Mr. Terrick wrote:

"Warm the car up.  Turn off everything like fan, radio, etc while in
neutral.  Then put the clutch in.  If, all of a sudden, a "whirring noise"
goes away,  you have "severe" bearing wear."

Just a note, here Dave, but this sounds like it could easily be confused
with symptoms related to the release bearing.  Normally, I'd say a release
bearing makes more of a rattle than a "whirring" noise, though... agreed?

As for Mike, well, keep in mind that there MAY be other ways to repair a
damaged laygear... that's the lower stack that Terrick referred to... In a
fairly recent post I detailed such a repair that I made to my TR6 gearbox.
I was faced with replacing the laygear and for obvious reasons I wanted to
avoid that.  My machinist suggested I take the part to Bearings Inc. and
see if the parts were within spec for using a Loc-Tite product called
"Bearing Locker."  The bore in the 1st gear end of the laygear had "grown"
just slightly and showed pretty bad wear patterns, galling, etc.  At
Bearings, Inc. they measured the clearance between the bore and the O.D. of
the new needle bearing and found that it was a good candidate for the
Bearing Locker.  This stuff, I was told, is used frequently in heavy
epuipment repairs, so we all figured it'd be adequate for the job.
Basically, I "glued" the bearing in the end of the laygear.  That
"transmixer" now has about 25,000 miles or more on it and still works
beautifully.

On a side note, that was the first gearbox I'd ever rebuilt!

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6 CF10732