Re: TR3 Chassis ?

To: musson@satie.arts.usf.edu
Subject: Re: TR3 Chassis ?
From: ArthurK101 <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 01:56:38 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

> Is there any difference between a '58 and a '61 chassis.  I have an op
>  to pick up a restored chassis at the right $ to replace a dpo bodged
>  chassis repair.  (frame welded crooked).    Just wanting to make sure
>  they are interchangeable.
>  (pre and post TS60000)

Carl, as far as I can tell there are few significant differences between the
early and late TR2/3 frames.  Do you have Bill Piggott's book Original Triumph
TR?  On page 16 he mentions a modification at TS4310 (about halfway through
the TR2 run) when "infill plates were added ahead of the chassis cruciform."
The first TR3 was TS8709       in "55.   The '58 through '61 time frame brings
us to the TR3A (first one made in '57).  He says that "changes ... were
minimal, being confined mainly to brake and fuel pipe pick-up points and
clips, and extra brackets which were added to support the 'split' two-piece
steering column introduced during the TR3A's production run."

That appears to be the only chassis mods of any significance that I can find -
maybe someone else knows more.  Hope that helps.  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant