Burning magnesium....

To: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Subject: Burning magnesium....
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 17:09:38 -0800
Cc: Dan Arrington <gt6nut@foxinternet.net>, triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Zink wrote:

> > like crazy. VW blocks make a real spectacular show!! But your normal
> > run of
> > the mill aluminum blocks just end up in a blob on the ground. Car
> > fires are
> > the only experience i have with these alloys so i havnt seen the
> > results of
> > a missle hit.
> >
> > Dan Arrington(Near Portland,Oregon)
> > gt6nut@foxinternet.net
> > http://www.foxinternet.net/web2/gt6nut/index.htm
> I thought I remembered that VW blocks were magnesium.  Same experience
> as Dan, Have to use foam to extinguish.

VW air-cooled blocks are actually an aluminum/magnesium alloy. And, yes,
the magnesium in them burns quite well. Part of the reason one can't get
any scrap value from them--throw them in a smelting furnace and the
magnesium burns out, leaving mostly a pile of aluminum oxide residue.
(!)

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....