Re: Spitfire Road Spring

To: msecres@ibm.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Road Spring
From: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 18:18:32 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

msecres@ibm.net wrote:

> Edward Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > For those interested in the front/back discussion of the rear road
> > spring, I heard from the PO regarding mine being backwards.  It seems
> > that it was reversed in 1992 to correct a "driver sag" condition --
> > which it did.  So.....I shall replace the spring in the same (backward)
> > manner.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ed Hamilton
>
> Ed ... it was my impression that "driver sag" can happen regardless of
> which way the spring goes in (!)  My list appeared about 3 months after I
> put in a new spring, or at least, that's when I noticed it ...
>
> --
> Martin Secrest
> 74 Spitfire
> 73 GT6

  Martin,
For the spring to sag after only three months, I guess I would have to ask if
you went back and torqued everything (especially the four studs connecting
the spring to the diff.) after the car was back on the ground with all of its
weight on the spring.  Upon removal, I found my studs to have been "finger
tight".

Regards,
Ed Hamilton