fair price...my story.... dont feel bad

To: bollen@ibm.net
Subject: fair price...my story.... dont feel bad
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 10:18:39 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
First, the moral of the story or stories...  if you want it done right, do
it yourself!  Now,  to find sufficient cash on hand to be "idly rich" so we
can be working on our cars all the time......

In the spring of 1990 I took my beloved TR4a (now re-restoring) to a high
school auto body shop.  Ya, I know, first mistake.  The story is, though,
my cousin was in autoshop then and she said they "had done a TR4 the year
before".  I beleived her  and the instructor when he said "they worked on
all kinds of these over the years" and then expounded on 30 years of
autobody.... bla bla bla.

I specifically asked for rockers to be done, pass. floor, and rust repair
and respray.  I also TOLD him I wanted  the fender beading saved as it was
integral to the look of the car.  Ie:  I didn't want a Sunberam Alpine job
done to it!  Guess what they did, after having the car for a year?  Yup.
My cousin dropped out of school - preggies - I never heard that part until
it was too late.  The instructor was an a@#h!@e who cared nothing for the
project.  It was a "favor".  On the BILL,  they elaborated almost $300 in
materials and wrote "unable to complete project - parts promised not
delivered".  Of course,  the two factory stamped rockers I delivered were
chopped short so they didn't have to remove the front fenders!  Etc Etc Etc.

Enough?

Oh ya,  after I refused to pay and threattened legal action if they didn't
restore the bolt-on-ness of the rear section,  they did that.  Only it was
done ,poorly, like the rest, with a large hammer,  16 ga. plate steel, mig
AND brass, and lots of bondo.  The chrome strips were "lost".  They
destroyed the TR6 steering wheel - the only part I left on the car and only
so they could steer.

I am now doing it "right" the second time.  It will take me until the next
century arrives and I will no doubt use up more welding wire,  sheet steel,
and time than a pro would, but I will ha ve only myslef to thank or curse
at the result.

My GT6,  body and paint farmed out in barter,  is only "slightly" more
acceptable.  Ya, it looks good until you get picky,    but most of us
listers seem "picky"  by "professional" standards.  I think I'll do the
whole project just for the satisfaction!

Good luch and happy airbrushing!

Dave Terrick
Winnipeg

PS  don't even start me on the exploding TR6 engine "professional shop" story.