Re: Reliable Triumphs ?

To: Thomas Dertz <siv_961051@debet.nhh.no>
Subject: Re: Reliable Triumphs ?
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 10:31:04 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Thomas Dertz wrote:

> After having seen some of the things you guys spell out TRIUMPH to be, I am
> starting to get second thoughts about importing a LBC.
>
> Untill now I have had the impression that as long as I am willing to pay
> the extra $$$, it will be possible to get a restored and fairly reliable
> car.  Lately, however, I have begun to question this.
>
> As I am no mechanic (I simply like the looks of cars like the Spitfire and
> TR3):  Will I be able to find a car that will not have to visit the garage
> every 100 miles ?  If so (and I know many of you do not like to answer
> this) what prices should I expect for the mentioned cars of such quality in
> the LA-area ?

Thomas,

 We tend to speak with our tongues in cheek regarding our beloved LBC's.
Actually, these cars can be made to be fairly reliable daily drivers.  But they
are of a different generation than what is expected today.  They must be kept
in tune and adjustment for them to be reliable.  You don't have to be a
mechanic (but it helps) in order to keep the cars running.  It really isn't
difficult to work on the cars and you'll find yourself doing so out of
affection more than necessity.

What you have to remember is they cars are now "old".  If you get one that has
been completely gone through and refurbished, you may have to pay a fairly
steep price, but if done properly, the car should be as reliable as a late
model (taking into consideration that routine maintenance is required more
often).

Don't let seemingly negative statements deter you from buying a Triumph.  We
owners want people to think we suffer more than we actually do.  And if you
weigh the utter joy we derive from driving the cars against the problems we
have, the fun far overshadows the pain.

Best Regards,
Joe Curry   '63 Spitfire (FC4505L)