Re: Silicone Brake Fluid

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 23:29:44 -0800
Joe Curry wrote:

> Brad Kahler wrote:
>
> > I've just finished installing the rest of the Braking system on my
> > frame up restoration of a 64 spitfire and am not sure whether I
> > should use Silicone brake fluid or the Girling LMA brake fluid.
> >
> > The system is all new, the master cylinder was rebuilt using the tube
> > of red grease that comes with the kit.  The same goes for the brake
> > wheel cylinders.
> >
> > In this situation is it acceptable to use silicone or would I have to
> > do something different before using it?
>
> Brad,
> I think this subject was touched upon earlier but I'll be darned if I
> remember the consensus of opinion.  I use Castrol GTLMA brake fluid in my
> Spit.  It works fine and meets the SAE J1703 standard required of the
> Spit.  I have used Silicon brake fluid in other applications and if
> memory serves me correctly, there is a warning not to mix it with other
> types of fluids.  So, you may be able to use the silicon, but if you
> already have the LMA type in the system, you will have to completely
> purge it before pouring in the silicon fluid.
>
> I'm curious to see what other experiences have to say about the subject.
>
> Regards,
> Joe

I would say that Brad is in a prime position to make the silicone conversion, a
smart
thing to do if you have a TR with paint worth protecting.  On Spits and GT6s,
the MC
reservoir has a nasty habit of leaking at inopportune moments; i.e., hot days.
This
leaves nice little streaks down the side of the car where it spills off the
firewall.
Silicone is not compatible with other fluids, but it doesn't blow up when it
mixes ...
it just separates.  Tried ways of purging a system are to:  drain completely,
then blow
out lines with compressed air, and/or pump and bleed a fair amount of silicone
until it
chases out the vestiges of the previous fluid out of the system.  I'm doing
this myself
in a few weeks on the GT6 ...

--
Martin Secrest