Re: oil

To: LBOTTOM2 <LBOTTOM2@aol.com>
Subject: Re: oil
From: Jeff Johnson <jguy@erinet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 21:47:58 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Steve:
Check for gasoline in the oil. If you have a condition that is allowing excess
fuel into the cylinders,running too rich, etc., that fuel can wash down any
carbon
deposits in the engine and cause the oil to turn black right away. Very common
during cold  hard-starting conditions.  We see it a lot in the winter from
persons
who have trouble starting their fuel- injected cars- maybe they've got old
plugs,
wires, batteries, you name it- anyway they'll start pumping the accelerator
It is normal for the oil to turn darker the longer it is in the engine. One of
its functions is to clean deposits- hence the detergents present in modern oils.
But if it smells like gas, change it quickly and find out why you're getting
unburned fuel in the cylinders.

Jeff Johnson
'76 TR6 with (normally) clean oil