Spitfire Temp Guage

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Temp Guage
From: "Joseph L. Van Meter" <joseph@dgsys.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 16:48:31 -0500
My temp guage appears to be not working properly.  A few years ago at
full temp the guage rose to about the twelve o'clock position, or
slightly below, which I thought to be normal.  Now, when the engine is
cold it is pegged all the way to the left and barely moves up scale,
even when the engine is running at full temp.  According to the
schematic, the 78 Spit temp circuit is a simple series electrical
circuit, where the guage is an ammeter and the temp sensor is a variable
resistor that changes with temp.  I suspect that the temp sensor is
kaput or nearly so.  Let's assume that I want to buzz out the sensor
with an ohm meter.  Do any Spitfire owners have a clue as to what is the
reasonable range of resistance values for the temp sensor (cold
resistance and hot running resistance) ?  A bad junction in the temp
measuring circuit appears that it could cause a low reading of the temp
guage.  Have any Spit owners experienced the latter symptom ?  Suppose I
could just buy a new sensor, but that would take the fun out of it!.