nut/thread musings

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: nut/thread musings
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 15:05:26 -0800 (PST)
When removing the heater from the TR4 I managed to 'spin' one of the
captured nuts that the upper bolts hang on to.  It provided me with many
happy hours of frustration and bruised hands.  Thank goodness Rolls Royce
makes *strong* wrenches.

The time is nearing for me to replace the heater in the car.  I took a
peek under the dash today and the 'mounts' for the nuts could probably be
faked by taking a round off the nut; the hole in the body is about 5/16",
whereas the bolt dia. is 1/4".

Before I haul out the JB weld and start carving up nuts, has anyone got
suggestions or ideas?  I was thinking of using stainless steel (the old
nut seized due to rust)-- or maybe just generous amounts of Nevr-Seez.

I *think* the thread is BSF 1/4".  The wrench I used on the nut is
5/16Whitworth; the bolt was close enough to 7/16" for me to use my
'murican sockets.

Any thoughts?

-Malcolm