Re: More wire wheel questions?

To: camhi@symbol.COM
Subject: Re: More wire wheel questions?
From: ArthurK101 <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 18:30:49 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

> Is there a difference in hardness of metal when comparing wire wheels to
hubs?
>  The reason for my asking is that I might be purchasing excellent wire
wheels
> and will be putting them onto to OK(not great) hubs.
>
>  Generally, are the hubs of a harder material than the wheels(i.e. wheels
> wear out faster) or is it vice versa.  Hubs are cheaper than wheels so if
> save money by buying used hubs I'd really like to.

Alan, my advice is to buy new hub adaptors if you are buying new wheels.  See
my two wire wheel articles at the maintenance section of www.vtr.org for my
reasoning.  Up to you - but I say buy new ones.

As to your question about knockoffs.  The big three has them for sale.
Suggest you budget for them and forego the hassle of trying to fix them with a
Dremel.  Even if you get them fixed you will still need to re-chrome them and
probably wind up paying more by the time you are finished.

As to the question about Dunlops. They are made in India.  Check Dayton wheels
for what I think is a better quality.

Finally, watch the "big three" for sales.  I got a good deal several years ago
when I did what you are doing.  This is a fairly large expenditure and a sale
can save you big bucks.  TRF sells Dayton wheels.  That is also in one of the
articles which I referenced above.   Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L