Re: TR250 Petrol Tank

To: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Subject: Re: TR250 Petrol Tank
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 18:47:22 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bill Kelly wrote:

> CD954L leaks petrol. DPO repaired with fibreglass. It didn't hold.
>
> The tank is empty, and out of the car. Question 1 is, what should I do
> to keep it from blowing up, so I can safely bring it into the basement
> near the furnace and work on it. Will it be sufficient to give it a week
> to evaporate, or do I really need to fill it with water to flush out the
> fumes?
>
> Question 2 is, will JB Weld really fix it? They say it will, but I was
> wondering if anyone has personal experience. The alternative is to cut
> out the bad section and weld in a new piece...
>
> Or replace the tank. New ones are ridiculously pricey. Question 3 is,
> does anybody have a spare with no leaks (TR6 will do, I believe) for 50
> bucks plus shipping to NJ?
>
> Bill Kelly
> '62 Herald, undergoing very expensive restoration
> '68 TR250 - just want it to run. Safely.

Gas fumes linger.  In an empty tank, they could send you to the Great Beyond.
To be
safe, you need to have it filled with water to displace any fumes.  I think
having it
near a furnace is basically a bad idea.

How big a hole are we talking about here?  I presume you're not talking about
pinholes
-- which Eastwoods tank sealer fixed for my Spitfire ...

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6