Re: Home Powder Coating on TNN this weekend

To: Ross Vincenti <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Subject: Re: Home Powder Coating on TNN this weekend
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 15:20:52 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ross Vincenti wrote:

> Kevin wrote:
>      While suffering from the flu bug this past weekend (instead of working on
> the Triumphs and enjoying the 70 degree weather), I saw a clip from this
> upcoming weekend's "Hot Rod TV". Included in the show is a spot on "Home
> Powder Coating". On the East coast, Hot Rod TV (TNN) airs on Saturday,
> March 7, at 4:30 PM and again on Sunday, March 8, at 3:30 PM. This is
> probably the Eastwood product Fred Thomas has extolled.
>      Cheers,
>      =======================
>      I looked into this stuff pretty closely since I am a big fan of powder
>      coating parts and am doing a LOT of it on the Porsche.  The problem is
>      the heating cycle one must go through to cure the coating.  Once the
>      part is sprayed you have to toss it in a hot (about 400 to 500 degree
>      farenheit) oven to cure.  During the heating and curing process the
>      parts give off noxious gases and fumes. The instructions clearly state
>      one should NOT use their household oven for the curing.  So, that led
>      me to thinking - "gee, I wonder how many of us just happen to have a
>      GE or Whirlpool or Jennair oven just sitting around in our workshop or
>      backyard into which we can toss parts for curing?"
>
>      I suspect the answer is damn few.  So, how useful is the kit?  Just
>      imagine if you will for a moment, some young gearhead living in an
>      apartment building who coats a handful of parts and then tosses them
>      into the oven in his apartment kitchen.  Oops, there go the fire
>      alarms!  And there goes the apartment lease.
>
>      Ross D. Vincenti
>      64 Spitfire 4
>      64 Porsche 356C Coupe

Ross, I bought my range (2yrs. old), at a yard sale for 60.00, ran a wire
and ready to go. Now really how many people live in a apartment with a
garage for restoring a old car, I don't think people in a apartment store
thinner or paint, or change oil, yes P/C gives off a odor, I vent the
door. I recently P/C a 6 bladed T/R fan, total cost about 2.00, called
the company I have used for over ten years for P/C work, his comment
since it's you how about 50.00 + S & H, quite a savings. The stuff is
just great, but only in a garage where you work on cars.