Dave Hill's Assorted Replies

To: <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Dave Hill's Assorted Replies
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 21:39:42 -0000
Hello Again,

Thanks for all the replies, answers as follows:-

Paul Burr-I've tried counselling cars before but it's a hell of a job
getting them to lie on the couch.

Trevor Boicey-I worked for Practical Classics as a freelance
writer/photographer between '88 and '96. It was great fun. I got to meet
really accommodating people and drive their cars. Sadly, the magazine was
sold to EMAP Publishing and the whole thing went in-house. Myself and many
more freelancers were dropped off the contributor's list. It was a very sad
development. Incidentally, the Morris Traveller restoration was sponsored by
U.S. firm, Eastwood Tools, who were terrifically helpful.

F. Underwood and John Duhart- Dear F., the Zephyr Convertible restoration
was covered by David Lillywhite; I was only supposed to do 2 or 3 articles,
although I actually did 7. I don't know of any online Ford stuff. Nor, John,
do I know about the situation concerning PC books in the U.S. There was some
talk of a Practical Classics Website.
You could try faxing them on (UK Code) 01733 231137 and the voice line is
01733 237111 (Ask for Practical Classics Editorial. If you do this, please
tell them who sent you!

Richard Jackson-Showing your age a bit, aren't you, Rich? I was more into
Greenslade than Slade, so I'm showing my age too:-)) Incidentally, I was
implying that the UK, rather than York,  is the home of rusty cars but,
being an Anglo-Saxon, you'll know that already. Send a mail showing your
exact location and we can perhaps get a comparison list going. If it's
anywhere near the coast, you win:-)

Finally, for Tomislav Marincic. In my experience, a collapsible spacer
differential should be marked up so the pinion nut goes back to EXACTLY the
same location as before. A shimmed diff. should have its pinion nut torque
tightened to the appropriate figure.
The symptoms you describe suggest that the nut isn't tight enough, which is
making the pinion mesh too deeply into the crownwheel. Try removing the prop
shaft and re-tightening the nut, if you are certain that the diff. is
shimmed.

Best of Luck,

Dave Hill.