Re: TR3 Body Tub Questions (also sandblasting and "Driver"

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Subject: Re: TR3 Body Tub Questions (also sandblasting and "Driver"
From: "Ross Vincenti" <RVincenti@lbfc.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 15:35 -0800
Carl wrote:

     Does anyon know the approximate weight of the body tub of a TR3?  All
     removable pieces are off the car and hanging on the wall in the
     garage. The tub is just sitting on the frame (not-fastened).  Trying
     to figure out how to move it for sandblasting, etc.  Is there someway
     to support the door opening to release the stress on the rockers
     without welding a brace in?   A friend has a sandblaster that he'll
     let me use, so - how big of a task is it?   I have a quote of $550 to
     do the entire car (inside and out).
     ====================
     Carl - Couple of thoughts (some good, some not so good)

     1) You "might" be able to support the body by slipping two 2x8 boards
     underneath it and lifting it by the boards as it shouldn't weigh that
     much.  4 guys and a six pack should easily be able to handle it.  You
     could even use lag bolts to tie the 2x8s together with a couple of
     2x4s at the ends to keep it all rigid.  I used 2x8 boards to lift the
     Porsche unibody up onto a custom made jig in my garage and no apparent
     damage occurred.

     2) I assume you mean someone else quoted you $550 to blast the car for
     you, right?  Spend the $550 and let them blast it.  That's a pretty
     good price to bead blast an entire car (even if it is an LBC).  Make
     sure they use walnut shells as the blasting media.  Silica is pretty
     abrasive and may warp delicate panels.  Besides, it is a HUGE mess to
     clean up yourself.  My 356 was just blasted this week by a local guy -
     $800 for the entire car, inside and out.

     Good luck and regards,

     Ross D. Vincenti
     64 Spitfire 4
     64 Porsche 356C Coupe