Tranny transplant

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tranny transplant
From: HMENTZEN <HMENTZEN@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 13:00:17 EST
I have a 79 Spitfire that needed major tranny work. The most economical way
out was to put in a re manufactured tranny. (can you say cheap) VB had a sale
and I ordered one.  I gave them the info on my car and asked if it mattered
which of the two they had listed I should take. I guess there was a switch in
the middle of 79. They went from an oil slinger  type to an oil seal  type
(where the input shaft goes into the bell housing). Yep, I managed to have the
one with the oil slinger and they sent the one with the oil seal and  I (the
DO) didn't notice the difference in shoulder width on the input shaft.
As I tightened down the 5 bolts that mate the bell housing to the gearbox
the input shaft stopped turning  when I tried to twist it. I removed the bell
housing but not before the housing -spiral oil slinger broke. My questions to
those in the know- Can I replace the housing-spiral oil slinger  with  one
that has the oil seal that is compatible with the re manufactured tranny?
Would I be better off to ship this tranny back and ask for the right one?  The
broken oil slinger on my bell housing - How do I remove it? It looks like a
press fit. Is that DIY or should it go to a  shop  to have it removed and a
new one installed.  I thought this was going so well!

Hans Mentzen
79 Spitfire FM92061