Re: Spitfire Tranny questions

To: ABunch726 <ABunch726@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Tranny questions
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 16:22:47 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Sun, 8 Mar 1998, ABunch726 wrote:

> car was restored about 2 years ago and is currently owned by a doctor.  The
> doctor's father did the restoration.  The only major problem is the
> transmission.  It is hard to get into reverse.  All the other gears seem fine,
> but it grinds when you try to put it in reverse.  Also the shifter lever spins
> freely.  My friend turned it and turned it trying to get it to tighten.  What
> would cause this condition?  We could probally live with the reverse problem
> for a while, but the spinning shift lever is very irritating.

Of the two I would be more worried about the reverse.  If it's just the
knob spinning you are fine.  if the shaft spins too (unlikely!) then you
have a problem.  Try to turn the shift knob by the metal shaft; if you
can, worry.

The knob has probably cone unglued.  Does it come off if you lift it?
(lightly)

The reverse problem might be due to a worn or maladjusted clutch.

You might also try waiting a bit before shifting into reverse.  (ie, let
the car come to a FULL stop)  It won't go in if you're moving.

-Malcolm