Re: O\D won't kick in

To: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>, rlmcneit@cpis.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: O\D won't kick in
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 12:01:34 -0500
At 08:16 AM 3/10/98, R. John Lye wrote:
> The O/D is engaged by oil pressure
>supplied by a pump that's driven off the mainshaft (I think, its been
>a while).  Anyway, the car needs to running in gear for a while to build
>up enough pressure for the O/D to engage.  There's a spec in the manual
>for the amount of pressure and where to measure it; as I recall, the
>required pressure is rather high.

Just for my information, is THIS why the owners manual for my '79 Spitfire
(that's a J-type O/D, I know) says to wait several miles before engaging
the O/D?   I always thought is was just to warm-up the tranny...

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO (On the road soon!)

"47.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot."