Re: Flaring Brake Lines (Tom Pairet TR 250 )

To: USER <pairets@luna.moonstar.com>
Subject: Re: Flaring Brake Lines (Tom Pairet TR 250 )
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 10:48:38 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, USER wrote:

> Would some one be kind enough to tell me if I can flare my own brake lines
> to fit the original system. It seems to be different from any flaring I
> have access to. If so where might I find the right flaring tool. Thanks as
> always in advance. Tom 68 250

I was able to find the correct bubbled fittings at a local parts house.
Triumph uses bubble flares on male fittings and double flares on female
fittings.  So on the clutch I had a 40" bubble flare (double ended), cut
it to length and installed the fitting with a _double_ flare... the
machine-made end went into the master cylinder, and my fabricated end went
into the flexyhose fitting towards the slave.

You can also get adapters to change the bubble into a double flare.  (ach,
I hate the similarities in words...)

If you buy from a store take something in to test the fittings... mine
were color coded (orange for standard, green for metric)- the metric ones
will fit but you have to cut 3/8-24 threads on them (no big deal, they are
larger)... but it's a hassle and you can muck up the soft aluminum of the
TR fittings if you try to force a metric fitting in.

Good luck,
-Malcolm