Spit 1500 Rear end clonks

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit 1500 Rear end clonks
From: Julian Daley <jjdd@umds.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:53:44 +0000 ()

My 1980 Spit 1500 has started making some very loud CLONK!s under
acceleration.  Sound like it's coming from the driver's side rear.  It was
my understanding that wear in the UJs caused knocking on deceleration, but
maybe I'm wrong.  Are there any other likely candidates (Propshaft UJ's
perhaps) ?

If it is the half shaft UJs, how big a job is it to change them ?  Is it
possible to do them without removing the half-shaft ?

Any advice gratefully accepted,
Julian.
                Julian Daley, Dept Phonetics, University College London