Pinch Bolt/Coupling/Steering Column

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Pinch Bolt/Coupling/Steering Column
From: Ct54531 <Ct54531@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 18:30:39 EST
I am just about ready to take the body and tub off the frame of my 65 TR4A.
The only remaining connection is the steering column. The documents sent me
previously (and I thank all who answered - in particular Dave & Ken who
faxed/e-mailed me the Bentley pages) address this and say:
    Remove the upper pinch bolt from lower steering coupling. (Done)
    Slacken impact coupling and push the steering shaft upwards clear of the
lower
    coupling.
Now that seems clear enough but is there a proper - or even singular - way to
"slacken" the coupling? Can I just grip the coupling and turn the steering
wheel to loosen it?
TIA.