Re: Idle on a 1980 Spit

To: Nikki MW1 <NikkiMW1@aol.com>, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Idle on a 1980 Spit
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 21:00:00 -0500
Hi Nikki,

Your query begs the following questions:

At 01:01 AM 3/16/98 EST, Nikki MW1 wrote:
> I have had the car brought back to stock emissions wise with the stock
intake
>and exhaust manifolds installed with the stock carb and catalytic converter
>but I did put on the Monza exhaust.  The problem being that the car will not
>idle below 1200 RPM.

Does the engine want to stall at lower RPM? If so it may be too lean at
idle.   Perhaps your Mechanic had to lean it out for emissions, but maybe
it won't idle at that setting. Does the Cat glow red after a minute or two
of idling?

 >The mechanic that did the work said that if he dropped
>the idle any lower then it will not pass emissions here in Illinois.  I don't
>like the fact that I need to run the idle that high plus I'm sure that when I
>do take it it still won't pass because the idle is too high.

Since your '80 should have the electric cooling fan, what RPM does the
engine idle at with that fan on, along with the headlights, heater fan, and
brake lights operating?   Mine drops  about 300 RPM less, than if that
stuff is off. Still, the factory idle spec is 800 RPM.

Did he rebuild the carb or just reinstall it because of an emission
inspection?

Is your emission air pump operational?

If you are running a good Cat (not clogged or gutted) I can't see an idle
problem being caused by the Monza system. Did you use old parts or new to
restore the engine to standard?

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO (On the road soon!)

Succasunna, NJ USA
"Now that cars are better, why do they keep lowering the speed limits?"