Re: Torque and Tightening

To: Alan Camhi <camhi@symbol.com>
Subject: Re: Torque and Tightening
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 12:18:13 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Alan Camhi wrote:

> I just finished rebuilding my carbs(I hope I did them right).  I have removed
>the intake and exhaust manifolds for cleaning and painting and was wondering,
>does anyone know what the troque specifications are for re-attaching these two
>items?

Haynes says 22 to 24 ft-lbs.

> Also, is there a bolt tightening pattern that needs to be followed?

I'm not sure on this one, if in doubt, follow a diagonal pattern.

> My Bentley manual addresses neither one of these issues.  They also
don't address how tight to make the 3 bolt connection where  the exhaust
pipe meets the exhaust manifold.

I think that's a regular old exhaust clamp.  You do it up until it's
tight.  Make sure to use a new gasket in there!

-Malcolm