RE: Spitfire ZS Carb - strange occurrence

To: David Moag <moag@ix.netcom.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Spitfire ZS Carb - strange occurrence
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 22:38:21 -0500
At 06:34 PM 3/16/98 -0800, David Moag wrote:
>Atwell,
>
>When I first got my Spit I bought a gross jet for it. I brought the car
>over to a very good LBC mechanic to do some other things to it (mostly to
>enable me to fly through CA smog test), and asked him to install the jet
>while he had it. He refused. Worse than that, he started yelling that he'd
>told the guys who own the British Parts store we frequent to never sell
>gross jets for Spits. I understood even less about all this stuff then than
>I do now (which basically means I knew nothing), so I was not able to
>follow the expletive-laced tirade about WHY he felt this way. I seem to
>recall that the force at which it comes thru the jet can cause other
>problems w/ the ZS setup.
>
>Anyone else on the list know the rest of the story? If not, I guess I'll
>just have to track him down to find out why.

Dave,

I had been chasing my tail with the gas-leak-after-shutdown problem, and a
local (highly regarded) LBC shop suggested the Grose jet.  As a matter of
fact, they put the jets in on a regular basis....

I can't think of anything that is different about Spits than other LBCs,
except the gas tank position:  mounted high between the wheels.   But as I
said, I had the back end on stands, two feet higher than normal for six
weeks, with the carb off.  Nothing came out of the fuel hose.

I still have the (Moss) needle jet.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO (On the road soon!)

Succasunna, NJ USA
"Now that cars are better, why do they keep lowering the speed limits?"