Re: TR3 temp gauge

To: Tom Bottman <tbotts@vii.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 temp gauge
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 07:44:24 -0500
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Tom,

At 09:18 PM 3/17/98 -0600, Tom Bottman wrote:

>Am in the process of dismantling the TR3. Have run into a problem
>removing the water temp sensor from the thermostat housing.

Snip

This is not an uncommon problem, and unfortunately, I have not figured out
how to successfully remove a good 'n stuck bulb (sensor) from a stat
housing. I spent lots of time trying to remove a stuck sensor with a cut
capillary tube, so I had the luxury of doing all this on the bench, the
ability to soak whole thing for a few days, try lots of different
penetrants, etc.

After lots of no success, I pulled out the propane torch. After lots of
heating, the bulb "popped", (glad I was not standing real close when THAT
happened) meaning whatever was sealed in there expanded till the sensor
ruptured, and another five minutes of heat finally freed the bulb's housing.

I was able to salvage the stat housing, and since I had no temp gauge to
start with, I found a NOS gauge. I assume you have a gauge, so you will be
able to send it to one of the rebuild shops. Expect to pay in the
neighborhood of $75 to have the gauge refurbished and a new capillary tube
and bulb installed.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that has been my experience.
 Henry Frye            E-mail - thefryes@iconn.net
 TR3B   TCF1927 L   http://www.iconn.net/thefryes/
 TR250  CD8096 L                  A Little Town In
 TR250  CD1074 L                  Connecticut, USA