Spitfire Transmission Problems

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire Transmission Problems
From: schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 22:58:45 -0800
Continuing the transmission thread, I've been wondering what in the
world is going on inside my Spit's transmission.  (Actually, I'm sort of
jealous of you guys burning rubber in your "vettes" and 7s.)  The
problem is that when I try to pull off in a hurry, something is slipping
in first and second.  Most often, it happens when I'm trying to turn
left across traffic or pull out into traffic (what better times than
those?).  This has been going on for the five years I've owned Malibu
Barbie's Dream Car, and two "professional" transmission rebuilds haven't
changed a thing.

Now, I know it's not the clutch slipping -- my most recent transmission
implosion -- not my lack of driving ability, but the result of the first
"professional rebuild" -- left me with a first gear noise that goes up
in pitch as I accelerate.  It does the same whenever the slipping is
happening.  Also, shifting to third cures the slipping.  Still, it feels
just like a slipping clutch.

I don't have a clue (duh!).  I can't imagine anything in the
transmission that would cause such an (intermittent) problem.  If the
gears weren't meshing properly, I'd think there would be either more
noise or no pull at all or both.  Could it be the overdrive, even though
it isn't engaged?  BTW, this is a late-model three-rail and J-type.  I
don't think it's something screwy going on with the rear end, because
I've changed out the old, noisy one with a rebuilt unit, and there has
been no change in these symptoms.

So, any help would be most welcome (before MBDC and I end up as a BAC's
new hood ornament).

TIA

-Schuyler
--