Re: Now back to the Clutch problem

To: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: Now back to the Clutch problem
From: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 22:21:59 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Brad Kahler wrote:

> Ok, now that I have my 4A home, I'm ready to solve the problem with
> my Spitfire Mk1 Clutch system.  After rebuilding the master cylinder
> and the slave cylinders I rebleed the system and came up with what I
> think is a major problem.
>
> After the system is fully bleed, there is still no action on the
> clutch itself.  It appears that the slave cylinder reaches full
> stroke before the clutch throw out bearing operating lever is
> activated.
>
> I'm beginning to believe that I have installed something wrong inside
> the bell housing.  Is it possible to put the throw out bearing in
> backwards?  What other items could be assembled wrong that might
> cause a similar problem.  I assembled the clutch, bell houseing and
> transmission over 9 years ago and can't remember a thing about how I
> put them together.  Are there any items I could check without
> removing the transmission and bellhousing from the car?  I did try
> sticking a long screwdriver up against the operating lever and
> pushing and felt no movement whatso ever.  I can grab ahold of the
> push-rod with needle nose pliers and move it about an inch or two.
>
> How about it, does anyone have any ideas?
>
> TIA
>
> Brad
>
> 1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (After 10 years will be on the road in
>March!!!)
> 1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Car is finally home and ready for
>Restoration)
> 1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Boxes & Boxes of parts right now)

  Brad,
I think you have a hydraulic problem -- assuming the master and slave were
rebuilt
properly, I would say the system has not been blead properly.  I just finnished
with
that frustration.  The release bearing just about rides on the presure plate --
it takes
little movement of the slave before the resistance should be felt in the pedal.
 I doubt
that the slave is making its full travel without contacting the plate.  I would
loosen
the pipe at the master cylinder and bleed the cylinder first.  Then bleed the
slave.
Worked for me.  Mine is a '80 Spit with a loop in the pipe (which I found very
difficult
to bleed.)  I think I ran about 12oz. of fluid through it before getting that
last
(meaningful) bit of air out of the system.

Regards,
Ed Hamilton