RE: Hardtop Storage

To: "'Joe Curry'" <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: RE: Hardtop Storage
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:39:10 -0500
Cc: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Joe - I disagree, although I am not putting it to a test (see paragraph
2)

The body tub (minus all removable parts) weighs somewhere in the 400 #
range.  This means that when it is free hanging there is 100# load on
each corner.  Since each corner is spread between two rafters, there is
a 50# load on each joint that might be under stress.    I really don't
think that is sufficient load to make a building cave in, unless there
are other factors such as a weakened structure (due to age) or other
physical damage.    In my case it is a new shed/garage and is built to
code to withstand hurricane strength winds.

Also, this was a short term solution to my situation.  I re-inforced the
rafters with a 2nd 2x4.  Also, I didn't leave it hanging at any time.
Each time I raised it 4" I inserted a piece of 4x4 or when it was 8" I
replaced it with a cement block.  When it got to the full working
height, the blocks were replaced by heavy duty "work-horses" with a 4x4
under the body.  I have now linked the two 4x4's with 2x4's, with a
stabilizing crossmember halfway between the 4x4's.  I will be putting 4"
casters (450# load capacity) under the 4 corners tonight so that I can
lower it back to the floor and roll it onto the trailer to take to the
bead blaster.    Eventually, I will be expanding this dolly to handle
the full size of the car and 2 or 4 additional casters.   I haven't
figured out how I am going to "raise" the chassis so that the wheels
will be off the floor, but probably will be somekind of 4x4 "tower".

The lumber is all scrap I had saved over the years; the casters were
picked up at surplus for $2 each.  Had to pay for the lag bolts and
screws.     I couldn't see paying $350+ for wheel dollies (Moss prices)
and then not be able to work on the wheels without jacking it up.