Re: Electric fans

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Electric fans
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 08:55:24 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Barry, (and all)

I bought an electric fan kit from VB last year for my Spit.  I installed
it according to the installation instructions on the "Front" of my
radiator.  I hooked up all the wiring as per the instructions and turned
on the switch.  Red light in the switch illuminated, fan roared, all
seemed to operate ok.  Later, I was doing something under the hood while
the fan was on and I noticed it was turning such that the air was being
thrust forward, not pushed through the radiator.

I thought, "Oh, I must Have wired it backward."  I rechecked the wiring
against the schematic that was provided and no, it was according to
spec.  So, knowing that reversing the rewiring on a de motor reverses
rotation, I did so and corrected the air flow.  It now pushed air back
through the radiator.  However, the light in the switch no longer
operates.

Because there is no schematic for the switch that shows how the light is
wired, I can't resolve that issue, but it appears that unless there was
a miswiring at the factory, the fan was designed to mount to the back of
the radiator and pull air through it.  However, nothing in the
advertising or literature that come with the fan suggests that.

At any rate, the fan is mounted in addition to the plastic 1500 belt
driven fan and is switched on manually when the car starts to overheat
(standing in stalled traffic on a hot summer day).  Works just fine
except for the light.

Joe Curry

--

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer