TR4A clutch bearing sleeve

To: "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR4A clutch bearing sleeve
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 21:47:34 -0500
I just changed the clutch in my TR4A.  The old bearing sleeve was of a
brass-appearing material.  A rim of the slot in which the rides had been
indented (bent inward) by a rounded-end punch.  It appears that the intent
of this was to prevent rotation of the sleeve against the fork.  The
factory manual does not describe such a modification.  I did not attempt to
create such an indentation.  I have talked to a local britich care
"expert".  He does not know of such a thing done to triumph sleeves.  He
does know of other british cars that have various techniques to prevent
rotation of the sleeve on the fork, though.  Anybody see this sort of thing
before?

Also the new sleeve appears to be made of steel rather than brass.  Does
this make a difference?  My inclination would be to use some sort of
brass-type alloy since it will wear first and prevent excessive wear on
non-replacable parts!

BTW, I know for a fact that the clutch is original, so the bend in the rim
is factory.

-Tony
ARhodes@compuserve.com
'67 TR4A  CTC73336L