Re: Starter problems on 1980 Spitfire

To: Nikki MW1 <NikkiMW1@aol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Starter problems on 1980 Spitfire
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:10:45 -0500

>Listers,
>clutch in thinking that the flywheel might be missing teeth but to no avail.
>She has done this before but after a couple of trys she would always kick and
>start.  I'm not sure what to try so I'm looking to the wisdom of the list for
>help.
>HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  I had the same problem with my 78 Spit.  The gear on the starter that
  engages the fly wheel is stuck.  Usually, when the starter spins, the
  centrifugal force pushes that gear out and it makes contact with the
  fly, then spins the engine.

  A temporary fix is to take a big wooden stick and bang on the starter
  to free the gear, it help if someone is turning the starter at the
  same time.  A permanent solution is to remove the starter, clean and
  lub the section of travel for the gear.  This is what I did because
  I was getting tire of banging on the starter in parking lots and
  sidewalks which tents to attract on lookers wondering what is this guy
  doing banging on the car.

  It only takes about 20 minutes to remove the starter, not a very
  difficult job.  Good Luck.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              Voice:(514)848-3098   Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H915       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html