Re: Electric fans, a practical question

To: Romano Kroemer <romano@bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Electric fans, a practical question
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:05:02 -0800
Cc: james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Romano Kroemer wrote:

> James et al,
>
> as it seems there is some power to be gained when one replaces the mechanical
>   fan by an electrical one. Now the practical question:
>
>   How do I disconnect the mechanical one and do I need a different (shorter)
>    fan belt which does not run over three pulleys (?) (crank, fan, alternator)
>    anymore, but only over two (crank, alternator)?

A careful scrutiny of the layout will reveal that the fan is driven
directly from the crank on six-cylinder engines, and from the water pump
on four-cylinder engines. Since the crank pulley is still required to
turn the water pump and the alternator, there is no change in the number
of pulleys.... The efficiency gain would be from the absence of the fan
driven directly by the crank, or, in the case of the four-cylinder, from
the water pump pulley. (!)

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....