Re: GT6 o/d speedo #'s

To: James Densley <jamesd@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Subject: Re: GT6 o/d speedo #'s
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 17:57:57 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
James Densley wrote:

> Hi
>
> My 69 GT6+ has an overdrive, which I assume is original equipment.  I
> recently purchased it and have been getting it road-worthy.  To the point,
> after I replaced the broken right angle cable attachment the speedo is
> working, but is far too optimistic.  Its number is SN6203/20.  Further to
> the right is the number 980.  Does anybody know if this is the correct
> guage for o/d trannies?  I've already been into the guage to clean/lube
> it, and it is happy with that respect.

I have a somewhat similar problem with my `72 GT6... some previous owner
installed a 3.89:1 differential, but the gauge wasn't changed. The trick
here is not the s/n of the speedo, but the number at the lower right of
the odometer face. This number (the 980 you cite) is the number of
revolutions per mile for which the speedo is calibrated and geared. An
o/d speedo (I don't have one, so can only guess) should have a number
approximately 19% higher, or about 1165.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....