Re: New addition to the family....

To: jmwagner@greenheart.com
Subject: Re: New addition to the family....
From: ArthurK101 <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 17:57:08 EST
Cc: rdaniels@snet.net, walker05@camosun.bc.ca, amyjo@tranquility.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-03-30 15:14:31 EST, jmwagner@greenheart.com writes:

> It seems to me... if I recall the original POST... it was suggesting
>  that someone with a TR 4, low on funds, with no manual to work with,
>  should buy the glovebox manual... quoted at around $16.00... (I assume,
>  because it's readily available?)
>
>  My point is simply... DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR... buy a book that can do
>  everything... rather than a little handy reference with SOME details.
>
>  This was blown out of the water by a post saying the electrical diagrams
>  weren't correct in the Haynes... suggesting that the glovebox manual was
>  critically more accurate...
>
>  This was misleading... as, we were talking TR 4 here, not TR 6... and
>  for the original poster...  it's not fair to fill his head with fears of
>  getting the wrong wiring diagram...   when this is simply not the case
>  for HIS car!
>
>  I agree, Art, the glovebox book is handy, cute, and adds a nice touch to
>  a finished car...   and something to buy at a later date...
>
>  but, really,  if you only have some $20.00 to spend...  are you really
>  suggesting that he go out and order a glovebox manual BEFORE he gets
>  soemthing that will really cover the car?   Why not hold out for a
>  Chilton?  It's not as good as a Haynes, but it's fairly extensive.  Or
>  try to dig up a haynes or factory reprint... they're out there.
>
>  If the guy is ready to buy this little glove box manual simply because
>  he can't find anything else... and he needs to work on his car, NOW,
>  heck... I'll lend him my Chilton's...until something else turns up!
>
>  --Justin

Justin, cool.  Enough.  I agree - if someone only has enough money for one
manual get the Triumph factory workshop manual (or the Bentley reprint of it)
or the Haynes manual - in that order, and of course based on funds.  50 bucks
for the workshop/Bentley, and 20 to 40 bucks for the Haynes (if one can find
it.)

My point was that the glovebox (owner's) manual does have more use than as a
"concours" accessory.  Cheers, Pal.

Art