On going saga

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: On going saga
From: "Alan Camhi" <camhi@symbol.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 09:49:49 -0500
Hi everyone,

Ok....new choke cable that i cut too short but still have workjing properly.  I
am now able to get my TR4 to run without the choke open but it is ROUGH.  Best
I can do is about 1000 RPM's and even then, it shakes like an banshee(so much
that I can't get a screw driver into the idle adjustment screws.  When I rev
the engine the shake goes away.

Any clues as to why I'm having difficulties?  Before the rebuild my plugs were
sooty, but new.  I'll try cleaning them, as well as the points.  I'll also
check the gap.  Timing seemed Ok but maybe i need to check the points gap
before checking the timing.

I richened her up a little and the exhaust smoothed outs lightly(got the puff,
puff, puff, rythmic sound but still not at all satisfactory).

Also, carbs are now sucking the same amount of air.  Could i have a vaccuum
leak?  Maybe from the intake or exhaust manifold(recently reinstalled them)?

Any help is greatly welcome.  I don't want to bring her to a mechanic  I don't
have to.