Driving me up the wall

To: <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Driving me up the wall
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 21:28:54 +0100
Having chatted with a number of people about this 2.5 PI of mine and its
tendency to run lumpy, I checked the following....

Dwell-about 20 degrees out
Ignition timing-4 degrees retarded
Plugs-fine
Condenser-new
Mechanical and vac advance-fine
Vac lines-all clipped and sealing
Injectors-all clean (I still don't know how to strip them down.)
Injector O-rings-a bit duff, new ones on their way.

Having done all that, I restarted the car (warm). It ran smoothly, ticking
over like a Rolex. BUT, after a 2-mile drive, the lumpiness was back again.

Decided to check the plug leads. The resistance ranged from 35,000 to 65,000
ohms, the latter figure on a lead about 1 foot long. The leads are made by
Ripaults and are PVC. Could they be breaking down internally when the
plastic gets hot and becomes more flexible?

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. It's frustrating because the
PI is so nearly right-when the lumps are missing the car pulls like a train.

Yours hopefully, Dave Hill